1. Is the salary negotiable?
'This is a question on every candidate's lips,' said Lee Biggins, founder and managing director of CV-Library.
'If you don't try, you don't get. Be prepared to back your case though as every employer is out to cut costs where possible - even if you're the best person for the job.'
2. Aside from salary, what other workplace perks do you offer your staff?
While some companies can't offer the highest wages, they are able make up for it in other areas. Ask this question to find out how else they reward staff, whether it's flexible working, free lunches, and so on.
3. What are the career development opportunities?
It's a staple question, but very important. If you're an individual that is driven by your ability to move up the ladder, this will help you understand the routes available and the potential timeframes.
4. Can you provide me with an example of a team member who recently got promoted?
This is another good way to find out what success and growth looks like in the company and helps you to know whether people are getting promoted and for what reasons.
5. If I asked your employees to describe the company, what would they say?
Asking this question really puts the employer on the spot, but helps you to understand the company culture and how you could potentially fit.